To enhance and encourage a culture of engagement, try implementing the following 5 tips at your next meeting:
- If you are the team’s formal leader and facilitating the meeting, stop! Changing the facilitator role from the team leader to another team member can create a different dynamic for team effectiveness and participation without limiting the role and authority a leader has to drive business results and engagement.
- Rotate and distribute other meeting roles to encourage more participation and engagement in the meeting process by all meeting participants.
- Require preparation for the meeting to include pre-written or typed speaking points and adherence to utilizing pre-read material when necessary for timely discussion.
- Establish the expectation that meeting participants will speak for themselves to include status of actions, performance against metrics, etc.
- Be mindful of and work to overcome tacit group dynamics imbedded in the work climate, such as employee longevity, titles, physical choice of meeting seats, etc. which may impact participation/engagement in a meeting setting.
For more information on how to improve employee engagement and make your meetings more productive, visit our Meeting Misery page.
Follow us on Linkedin