Getting to Know Generation Z [Series]
PART 4: Preference for Person to Person Contact
To all of us who have worried about the impact that technology and social media might be having on face to face communication and human interaction; have no fear, Generation Z is here!
Although Generation Z grew up in highly technological environments with the on-line classroom, virtual and simulated environments, and technology embedded in the way they live and communicate; they still have a preference to connect on a personal level. In other words, Generation Z is comfortable utilizing technology to connect and bridge the global world, but they hold a preference for person to person contact. ‘
So what does this mean for the workplace?
- Increased face-to-face meetings
- A preference for being in the office in a social environment over working from home in an isolated environment
- A preference for learning in a social setting through applied group discussion that can build upon concepts that they can read and understand on their own
- An ease and preference to utilize technology to accomplish goals through smarter and faster means
- A preference towards managing by getting out of the office to where the work is being done over managing from behind a desk and through email
What impact would moving toward some of these preferences have on your organization?